Ad

.
 

Turned a Scrap into a Craft

The great thing about crafting is that once you start doing and then loving it, your mind opens to  manifold  ideas. These ideas start crowding the imagination that summon you to realize them and  excitedly, you just want to do it. In the beginning you don't care about perfection. All you care is the desire to create. 

Three scraps of 3/8"plywood were sitting in the closet waiting for a project to be made. Presented with a material and with the confusion of so many ideas, I had to resort to my effective narrowing crafting steps:  http://www.mycrowquill.blogspot.com/2013/07/my-first-craft-was-my-first-sale.html. The plywood was a rectangular shape. I wanted to make a wooden box but I didn't have the tools, so I figured to make a wall decoration out of it. I can not paint and ply is not the right wood to carve on so I ruled them out. Instead, I thought of a useful accessory that can be attached to it.( Take note that the five underlined words described the design of my project. ) I scrambled into my available resources and found canvas totes from a previous project. The front of the totes were silkscreened while the backs were plain so I utilized the plain sides to make the accessory. With all the major materials ready for the set up, I had to pick a client that suited the project.  Definitely, the person who loved style organizing his/her kitchen.

The making took two days including the drying time. Below was the procedure.




First, I made sure each side of the wood was straight. The wood was used and distressed showing off evident nail holes, rough texture and minor paint stains. These were not issues at all because the wood had to be painted over anyway plus moldings covered the holes.










Second, my boyfriend Kevin is an artist. He painted a faux finish that resembled a wood grain.











Third, I measured and cut the moldings around the plywood. Even better, included the front that served as a boarder. The tool I used here was a miter box with a saw. All angles were at 45 degrees.





Fourth, I upcycled unused canvas totes and made them into three  4" x 2" x 6" mini bags with a thin cardboard lining.



Fifth, I painted the moldings and stenciled rows of dragonflies in an alternate in/out position. I let the paint dry before I nailed the moldings to the ply. Then, I brushed the entire wood with polyurethane finish for long lasting protection.





Sixth, I designed the bags with cut utensils out of copper foil. Three different utensils were glued to each  bag. I used both glue and screws, to fasten the bags securely to the wood.




Lastly, I covered the back with a brown paper and attached hooks on each side for hanging accessibility. 




I was very happy with this project and made another one with a similar design (https://www.etsy.com/listing/159542780/handmade-multi-purpose-wall-decor?ref=listing-shop-header-2). With the last plywood, I made it  into a mail organizer which will be featured on the next blog. 

Popular Posts

 
My Crowquill © 2011 SpicyTricks & ThemePacific .